Site rebuild on new server

Changes made to the system

Moderator: drgrussell

drgrussell
Site Admin
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Site rebuild on new server

Post by drgrussell » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:28 pm

I have transferred the system to a dual AMD64 Opteron platform with 2GB of memory. Its nice and shiny, and should offer a performance boost.

More importantly, this gets us off the old server, which is in dire need of having its disks replaced with ones without bad blocks.

I have also updated to Fedora Core 6 on the server. I am looking to introduce this into the virtual machines too. Seems like a nice system.

Please keep you eye out for any strange behaviour. Moving platforms can be tricky, and may produce unexpected problems. Moving to a 64 bit OS was a new experience for me, so some degree of problems are likely...

Sorry for the downtime during the move. I wanted to make sure that no data was lost, and checks like that take time.

G.
Last edited by drgrussell on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drgrussell
Site Admin

Post by drgrussell » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:19 am

Appologies to those who could not make the firewall tests work last night.
Forgot to install nmap.

Hopefully thats the only thing I have forgotten.
G.

drgrussell
Site Admin

Woops

Post by drgrussell » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:20 pm

Well no one noticed, but today I discovered that no virtual machine could make web requests.

With the new server came a new version of squid, the http cache I use. It has a different syntax for caching, which I thought I understood. However, I got it quite wrong and so no pages were ever returned.

Fixed now!

Fedora Core 6 should be available within a few weeks in linuxzoo. I have already installed it and it seems to work well, but I will wait until after my class have completed their exams before activating it, just to be sure.