Now that teaching has finished using the site, it is the best time to fire the changes in.
So whats happening:
- The new backend control protocol and code seems to have worked on the 2 test servers, so this is being rolled out over all the other nodes. It is on one of the free nodes now, and will be extended over the next week.
- We have dynamips and windows2008 running now. I am extended the free users to windows2008, but this is really alpha.
- VNC seems to work well, so I am going to offer this to all new systems as they become available. The applet is tightvnc.
- http proxy connections are going to be used by default when possible, rather than direct port connections. I will keep direct ports running on 22 and 23 just in case you are using native tools, but new tools (like vnc) will have to use http connect. The http hostname for this is a random string generated uniquely for each user on each boot, so cannot easily be guessed but is also therefore hard to use manually in native tools.
- Next step is providing windows2008 tutorials in the same style as the linux tutorials.
- After that I am adding fedora 14 via the kvm-qemu backend, rather than uml. This will provide GUI access via java applet vnc.