Latest Changes

Changes made to the system

Moderator: drgrussell

drgrussell
Site Admin
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Latest Changes

Post by drgrussell » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:04 pm

I am starting to move the site forward, and over the next few months there will be some major changes. This includes windows 2003 virtual machines, IPv6 support, GUI to the guests, and a slew of other things.

The first change is happening now, which is an update to the kernel versions which my servers and guests are running. This is a mix of 2.6.9 kernels up to about .18. I am trying to get guests and servers up to 2.6.24. Turns out this is harder than I thought, so a little disruption may result. It would be easy if people didnt rename kernel modules.

There should be no apparent impact of changing the versions as far as users are concerned, but in computing anything can happen. Let me know if there are any problems.

I will be using .24 to implement stateless NAT, which should allow me to change the network topology to better support multiple virtual machines. The ability to book 2 or more machines is another major change scheduled for the next few months.

Enjoy
Gordon.

drgrussell
Site Admin
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Post by drgrussell » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:04 pm

Im sure you have noticed that I use this forum like a blog!
I really must just install a blog and get it over with...

Looking back through these messages, I cannot help to notice that some of these are just "thoughts". But for completeness let me fill you in on the real future.

Stateless NAT was a flop. It does work but it is horrible.
I am moving towards giving each user their own IP in the 10.0.0.0/8 range. They keep this ip for as long as I keep their last disk image (at least a month). This solves many problems, especially extending the site for windows admin.

The next step is to test a new back end I have written. This uses bridging (so that a user with more than 1 machine can have them all on the same bridge), and dhcpd for IP allocation. Its also a complete rewrite of the original backend, and as such solves many bugs, has better security, is extensible, and probably has many new bugs to solve. This step will allow me to provide windows 2003 and dynamips support.

Once the backend is working and tested, the frontend will be updated to use asynchronous xml requests rather than the iframe approach it has now. It will also have the ability to control multiple users.

On the access side, I am moving to HTTP CONNECT for telnet, ssh, and remote desktop (needed for windows). The code is being tested now and everything looks good.

Thus I have a busy time ahead.

Student projects on the site include IPv6 support, Mac OS/VMWARE support, remote desktop with qemu, and some security work.

Gordon.