Puzzled by the tutorials

General chat concerning linux or linuxzoo.

Moderator: drgrussell

mprather
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Puzzled by the tutorials

Post by mprather » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:41 am

Forgive me for asking, but I'm actually trying to learn Linux and was attracted by the opportunity to use a virtual program. My problem is that the tutorials don't really show any commands. Can a person just use this site alone to learn Linux, or is this a side-by-side for some sort of course?

drgrussell
Site Admin

Re: Puzzled by the tutorials

Post by drgrussell » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:33 am

The tutorials are only the questions... Did you click on essential Linux or system administration on the main page?
There you will find quite a bit of online theory.
If you want slides or videos instead then turn to grussell.org, my teaching site.
Intro to linux on slides can be found in the first 5 weeks of http://grussell.org/saf/lectures.html

Videos are a bit new for me, and I am not sure I could sit through 2 hours of a video. But they make sense for dipping in and out of over a longer period of time...

Gordon.

mprather

Post by mprather » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:07 pm

Thank you.

maliha

Post by maliha » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:19 am

Do you mean you have only a single public IP and want to login via that from the outside using ssh to private IPs? If so, you need to look at SNAT. Linux supports this fine if you want to use 1 machine as a gateway, but your small router at home probably does this too...