is there a text based file manager like mc in linuxzoo?

General chat concerning linux or linuxzoo.

Moderator: drgrussell

unclejed613c
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

is there a text based file manager like mc in linuxzoo?

Post by unclejed613c » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:30 am

i find mc (Midnight Commander) extremely useful when i have to go into /etc and make changes to config files, especially when i have to make changes in several files. it's also useful for browsing logs, etc... FC2 doesn't seem to have it, however. is there something similar on the machine?

drgrussell
Site Admin
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Re: is there a text based file manager like mc in linuxzoo?

Post by drgrussell » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:46 am

The course is designed around using vi for editing, and falling back to nano if you have trouble with vi.
"mc" is not a tool I use myself. The fedora 2 image (and in fact all the images) only contain the default install which that system provides, plus a few other things needed to make the site work. However you could perhaps find mc and then scp it to your virtual machine.
You prob wont find a rpm for fedora 2, as it is very old. I am moving to fedora 13 for the tutorials, which should make this easier (but not soon). I am slowly moving from user mode linux (the emulator I use to run the virtual machines) to qemu, which although slightly slower is much easier to manage and should make providing up to date images much easier.

Enjoy.