Install extra software

General chat concerning linux or linuxzoo.

Moderator: drgrussell

3002linux

Install extra software

Post by 3002linux » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:59 pm

I really like this site and think the guide is just waht more universities and colleges should use and incorperate into their learning.

My problem is, I wanna learn more about Linux but I dont have my own box to experiment with.

Is it possible to install other software and services? I am interested in setting up apache and MRTG, so I can monitor the network traffic and cpu. I know that the pages wouldnt be externally accessable but it would be nice if you could expanbe the learning capanilities of this truely great learning tool.

Also, you need a donate button as I'd donate a few quid for this service happily.

drgrussell
Site Admin
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Post by drgrussell » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:28 pm

Thanks for the money offer! But no plans yet for a donation button.

Yes you can install any software you like. After all you are root.
In fact your machine would be externally visible, but only while you are actively using linuxzoo (and therefore your virtual machine is running).

I really need to put in fedora 10 before 11 comes out! It is on my list to do by the end of march this year. It doesnt take long but I also need to validate all the tutorial check buttons with the new image, and that is what takes the time.

Glad u find the site useful.
Gordon.

3002linux

Post by 3002linux » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:47 pm

I have tried installing via yum, but it fails, does it mean I need to update yum or is it disabled?

And cool news about the externally visable!

This tool truely does rock!

drgrussell
Site Admin

Post by drgrussell » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:04 am

yum will prob fail as the fedora 2 yum repository is long gone. There are fedora 2 legacy repository setting you can use, but you would have to google for them. Another reason for a more up to date fedora image!

However most software can be downloaded direct from the author site or sourceforge and installed from rpms.

Best of luck
Gordon.

3002linux

Post by 3002linux » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:49 am

I have found some archived fc2 mirrors but I dont know how to edit the mirror/repo list in fc2 for yum. And all guides found via google are very confusing.

do you have any ideas?

oh and FC10 would rock!

Im loving linuxzoo loads learning so much more with this site than I ever have.

drgrussell
Site Admin

Re: Install extra software

Post by drgrussell » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:27 pm

Sorry, been busy on site updates.
Try this:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legacy/YumFC2Detailed

sakhi123

Post by sakhi123 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:00 am

Hi,
I am unable to download any software to install. I tried both wget , ftp etc . Moreoever I tried uploading from my laptop bit the external IP does not work. Has this feature been disabled?

I wanted to install and test single node hadoop. Would it be possible to make the tar file available

TIA

drgrussell
Site Admin

Post by drgrussell » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Put the file on your PC and use winscp to scp the file to your virtual machine, which is always linuxzoo.net. You cannot use your private IP directly from the internet.
You can only access a few sites directly from your virtual machine but you can upload whatever you like from your PC.
Gordon

myra78888

Post by myra78888 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:12 pm

First of all I want to say fantastic Forum ! Yes you can install any software you like. After all you are root.n fact your machine would be externally visible, but only while you are actively using linuxzoo.However most software can be downloaded direct from the author site or sourceforge and installed from rpms. Thanks for the marvelous posting. You doing great work i appreciate .I really like your way of expressing the opinion and sharing the information.