Assessment

General chat concerning linux or linuxzoo.

Moderator: drgrussell

Who agrees?

yes I do
40%
No I don't, get on with it!
60%

Total votes: 5

Dantrek1988

Assessment

Post by Dantrek1988 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:54 pm

I think it was a bit not fair with the recent assessment we did last friday. The assessment was based on the later units when most of the class spent most of the time trying to get the first 3/4 of it done thinking the assessment was going to be based on all that we had learnt. Ok I passed buut for some that did not have any background of Linux they would have found it alot harder to do. Ano it sounds like am just grumbeling (please no agreeing lol) but jist think that to reflect a better (more fair) grade for people it woiuld be better to base the assessment on the all the units/sections.
Daniel

drgrussell
Site Admin
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Post by drgrussell » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:00 pm

Well the course was about system administration of linux, and thats what the assessment was about too.

We have other modules which teach linux from a user perspective, but I added some supporting material in the earlier weeks just to help those who had forgotten the linux material or perhaps had not tried linux before. However this was never to be assessed directly. But I guess in answering the questions you did need to use ls, cd, cat, etc. You certainly needed /etc/passwd and /etc/group.

The final exam may cover material from any section...

Good luck.
Gordon.

Dantrek1988

Assessment

Post by Dantrek1988 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:15 pm

Suppose your right, thanks for the info!
Daniel

stugster

Post by stugster » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:29 pm

I have to say, I disagree strongly with your idea of the test only covering parts you didn't revise.

If your point was that the test had elements that were not taught in the coursework, then yes, you have a fair point.

But the overall test was checking your understanding and problem solving when it came to Linux Administration, and if you failed to revise the entire course, that isn't really the exam's fault.

You point out the class spent time revising 3/4 of the course: that's 1/4 too little revision in my books ;)

Dantrek1988

Exam

Post by Dantrek1988 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:32 pm

Ok it was basically our own fault for not getting through all e stuff bt still, alot of people spend time at the beginning and getting to grips with it (the whole linux) there was 2 people in ma class that didnt do too well because they had no linux background what so ever (former multimedia students) and found it extremely hard and they only got e 1st 3/4 of the "dummie" tests done. Am not complaining (exactly) because a passed but for those who have still to sit it. Some people took all their time getting used to the hectic windos dos and then see linux and go "What The Hell". Am jist saying it would be good to include some of the easier stuff in the exam (even if it means expanding the exam) to help bump some ppls marks up?????
And Make it a bit fairer for all??????
Daniel

stugster

Post by stugster » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:02 pm

If you think that was difficult, you should see the advanced linux stuff.

The exam was a basic test on your knowledge and understanding (and problem solving) when it comes to doing basic tasks on a linux based server.

If these people aren't up for learning the course, perhaps they're not cut out for it?

Dantrek1988

Assessment

Post by Dantrek1988 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:16 am

Yes we are cut out for learning, I was just saying it was a bit hard (I passed btw) bt am jist sayin there was some that didnt find it easy and struggled and failed.
Daniel