lINUX GUI

General chat concerning linux or linuxzoo.

Moderator: drgrussell

What way would you preffer to use Linux for Class

The GUI (Like Windows)
33%
Command line (Like the Dos but better)
67%

Total votes: 3

Ping_1701

lINUX GUI

Post by Ping_1701 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:44 pm

Has anyone ever used the GUI of Linux and do you think it would be better to use that instead of the Command line interface?

drgrussell
Site Admin
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Post by drgrussell » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:55 pm

Depends if you are configuring 20 remote servers or just your personal linux desktop...

stugster

Post by stugster » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:45 pm

If you're using the system as a desktop, then it's nice to have a GUI.

In a server environment, it's a waste of resources and can actually slow you down.

I suppose it depends on what you're doing.

My openSUSE box has GUI, but I hardly ever use it (I usually just SSH in and make use of yast via the terminal).

ping00

Post by ping00 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:57 pm

KDE 4 ain't working right yet, they're going all bloatware with widgets and the like. I have nothing against fancy graphics and can't wait to get a linux gui that actually does the 3D rotating cube desktop; problem being there's a few issues with linux and graphics card drivers justnow.

Nobody on forums is much help. I've tried asking vendors that sell the latest SUSE (I like SUSE too, I prefer the one-click icons) and they don't reply. The latest Ubuntu has so much like pre-loaded games that need 3D - but they forgot to automate the driver installation; you're stuck on downloads from online. Fine if you have unlimited large-bps broadband, otherwise hopeless. Plus being Ubuntu you have to relogin as root, and then stop some of the init / go down a level, just to try and make-compile anything.....and say the Nvidia drivers are all proprietry; so the Ubuntu folks can't / won't help with installation issues.
There may be a solution; it's another large download though so I haven't been able to try it yet.

I think I don't like the Gnome file manager. My favourite linux desktop is definitely fluxbox. I use Puppy at home though; no nonsense, but with a GUI. Kinda quirky compared to most of the other popular linuxes. Best browser too (seamonkey).

GUIs aren't really suited to learning linux though. If you know the command line then you only need about a day to look over the GUI and see where they put all the button-pressing equivalents.
eg - if you know how to add users on the cmd, then you know that regardless of what GUI you use, it'll be a button that says something like 'add' in a dialogue box called 'users'.

What might be a good idea for learning linux could be to do some classes on remastering / recompiling. Then you get to see for-real what all the components of the OS are, plus you can choose what kind of desktop you want and find out how to specify it during the remastering. That means you can also see how it interfaces with the command line and is basically an add-on.

Also I suspect actual installations might help? As grub (and lilo) take a bit of getting used to - especially in that dual boot with windows area, which is likely to be more popular as people try linux out but don't want to give up on windows.
And the file systems differ - there could be some info on using samba, ie - mixed linux and windows clients and servers. That will be needed in work situations too (if any ever come up).

Not that I have any complaints about what we have been taught on linux.

I have to say though, it seems mighty odd even at NC or HNC level for anyone to say they shouldn't be doing command line?! It's obvious this is a technical course, it's not 'web design with dreamweaver' or 'frontpage' or something like that.
We're meant to be the people that know the behind the scenes stuff, not the people that can't do any work because the system failed and we only know GUIs.

Ping_1701

GUI

Post by Ping_1701 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:31 am

To quote you

"I have to say though, it seems mighty odd even at NC or HNC level for anyone to say they shouldn't be doing command line?! It's obvious this is a technical course, it's not 'web design with dreamweaver' or 'frontpage' or something like that.
We're meant to be the people that know the behind the scenes stuff, not the people that can't do any work because the system failed and we only know GUIs."

It is one thing to know how something works but it is another to know how to install and set up and configure. When I sujested learning GUI I ment with the command line as to see what you do in command line and what it does on the GUI lind in the HND level. Ock a canny be bothered arguing wae you any more, maybey later

Ping_1701

GUI

Post by Ping_1701 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:36 am

Strugster I understand about draining resources and stuff but does it drain as much as a windows GUI does?? If it is not the case then with the computers that are out today with high specks could run Linux better (assuming a non problomaticness of driver issues etc). If its the same ish or more then never mind, I've never seen a server run by linux before and managing a Linux network so I have no ways in which to compare

ping00

Post by ping00 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:45 pm

Lies. You don't even know what desktop you are pretending you think we should be using, or why.

We'll find out tomorrow who you are.
Whoever complained about my stating the construction noise is unacceptable - pm me here and admit who you are, coward. We'll see how much you want to complain about me then.

drgrussell
Site Admin

Post by drgrussell » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:22 pm

Please stop this threatening language. Do not post like this again.

stugster

Re: GUI

Post by stugster » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:46 pm

Ping_1701 wrote:but does it drain as much as a windows GUI does?
I have no idea to be honest. It would be very difficult to blame the GUI of the O/S alone and not take into account the software and processes that also run alongside the GUI.

There has probably been research done to answer your question, but it's very unlikely there is a definitive answer. Take, for example, a designer on Windows using Photoshop. At what point does the GUI for Windows become slower than that on a *nix box? Do we have a comparative software application that we can use? Probably not.

I believe the speed differences in the GUI's alone are negligible, and with the capabilities of today's modern hardware, the speed of a GUI is not something we should ponder on with great interest.

Now, if we take two GUIs that are both designed to run on the same platrform, KDE and GNOME, then there would be something we could compare. Again though, speed alone might not be the only factor you should consider. What I mean by this is, an accountant would be happy to sacrifice a few seconds of time for a slower GUI if the application was more user-friendly and he knew how to operate it.
Ping_1701 wrote:If its the same ish or more then never mind, I've never seen a server run by linux before and managing a Linux network so I have no ways in which to compare
I assume you mean you're wanting to compare the abilities of a Linux server/Network to a Windows?

Many would automatically argue that because Windows has the market-share, that you would be silly to go down the Linux route. Others would argue that because Linux is free, you'd be silly to spend all your money on CALs.

Are you looking to compare capabilities or speed? They're two very different issues, and again, it totally depends on the software you intend to run.

It's swings and roundabouts, until you set some constant variables that can be used as a baseline.

Ping_1701

Gui

Post by Ping_1701 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:25 am

It's just I was pondering with the idea of of the class currently being done "Degree Network Computing" The Linux part of it, rather than it be done all command line that we have a user friendly interface, as drgrussel correctly pointed out that it would slow down the system. I was just wondering if there would be any Linux Versions that could be used, Anyone av had a conversation with says "vi" is the worst editor thay have ever used. Obviously if it going to or if it is possible to be done it wouldnt happen this year sa a suppose it dont matter, all the same thanks for your input and time.

drgrussell
Site Admin

Post by drgrussell » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:38 am

lol with the vi statement!

vi is the best editor in the world. I might be biased.
But it is not intuitive, and takes time to learn. It is small, and available on every single linux platform (probably in every single install disk).

I once tried to learn emacs, but it was just too complicated. Then again, there will be loads of people out there saying emacs is the best in the world.

The beauty of linux is that there are hundreds of editors, and you just need to pick one. A colleague swears by pico and nano, but they are too like notepad for me.

Gordon.