James Watt College - Linux Course

General chat concerning linux or linuxzoo.

Moderator: drgrussell

Ping_1701

James Watt College - Linux Course

Post by Ping_1701 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:40 pm

I would like to take this opertunity to thank Napier or whoever lets colleges teach Napier courses. The Linux course is very interesting, the lecturer very indepth about the subject and also good at expanding on the notes already prepped. The course is very interesting and is run by a good lecturer who is always there to give a hand whenever you need it and has the knowledge of the subject to help you, like I always say give credit where it is due and James Watt College deserves the credit.

ping00

Post by ping00 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:37 pm

So the college should take credit for lecturers etc being good at their jobs. Right....

Ping_1701

James Watt College

Post by Ping_1701 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:29 pm

Yes the college should be credited for its good lecturers, like you would a school of their teachers. I can't wait to see the college when the building work is completed, should look well.... better than before.

ping00

Post by ping00 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:54 pm

Well considering that's it a known one of many monstrosities ruining the character of the town's look, whatever it's going to look like will only add to the misery of that area.

Not an architecture or arts fan are you. Just a troublemaker crawler.

I'm sure all the folks whose homes and churches etc already live in its shadow will be thrilled at the ongoing needless and disruptive building work, and all the extra littering pupils it's likely to attract, so the next time someone sets off another fire alarm we can all worry them more by hanging around their homes and cars.

Just to add to how they spend so much extra time in their lives searching for a parking space in view of where they live whenever the college has pupils attending.

Here's a fine example of proper non-wasteful building:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/sou ... 275312.stm

btw your sad copying of my username while making a point of completely disagreeing with me, just doesn't get the wordplay reasons as to why I picked it for this forum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingu

Ping_1701

your points

Post by Ping_1701 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:31 pm

Your first link is about building houses cheap which may be cheap but probably wont stand much weather and would cost so much more lovely construction work you seem to dislike and more minimum disruption in the lovely area. A college is different from a house aka, has more rooms likely more equipment, you get the picture (I hope). Yes It might seem more waste-less but will it hold up to our environmental challenges, the college is more likely to hold up and look better too.

Your point about the second link well I don’t know, the link goes to "pingu" not "ping" so that makes no sense, please could you elaborate on that?????

Question for you, would you like to be in a college that was VERY cheaply made and wasn’t likely to hold many people equipment??? You get places like Tesco in Greenock where they cut corners and now they have people in fixing all the walls that are falling apart and leaking roofs destroying stock.

If you dislike my choice of username, well, tuff! I like the word ping as a good network terminology and the numbers were random no where near 00 a good 1 thousand and 700 and 1 numbers away. Now it would appear we are going off subject AGAIN! so the college will look nice attract more students yes hopefully and generate the more money it needs to keep going, and should have improved facilities like the canteen which I hear was very cold and boring and is likely to look brilliant after the makeover. The building work is a pain for some yes and everyone will acknowledge it in some way but it has to happen and cant be done at night because it would cost more and stop people sleeping at night perhaps yourself if you lived nearby, now since there is already noise from the college during the day doing the construction work during the day seems quite how shall I say Logical? Anyway have a nice day and Merry Christmas, Seasons Greetings Etc

Ping_1701

lecturers of Linux Course

Post by Ping_1701 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:40 pm

Despite what people may have herd, I believe that the college lecturers are good at their jobs and are always willing to go the extra mile to help you when in need of assistance. The Linux course is a good example, I had Linux last year and between both classes and 2 lecturers both were very knowledgeable about the subject and had practical knowledge about the subject which helps. The Linux class is brilliant, Question for Dr Russell, Would you ever consider using the GUI of Linux, you could have an image that people download and your website could check that, most people these days use "the GUI"?

drgrussell
Site Admin
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Post by drgrussell » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:45 pm

I have a project running right now looking at a GUI interface. However, it uses more resources than a non-gui system. This may mean that restrict GUI usage to Merchiston Campus students... I might just open it up to everyone and measure the size of the problem!

Mind you I am having a hard enough time keeping it running right now!

Gordon.

Ping_1701

Linux

Post by Ping_1701 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:34 am

Would it be as long as you have a good enough connection and powerful enough machine to run it and have slots for classes to use it to limit the stress levels on the machine to say 20 people at a time, I dont know how many people are in the university classes but in the college there are generally no more than about 15. If the class times did not clash it might be a working theory??????

I know it would cost money but for future well, near future if you get a good enough system that would allow this to happen that would be kind of future proof for a while then it might be worth it. I only ask because the GUI was never really tought to us in college we got 2 lessons on it making users and changing passwords, I know a gui is a gui but I am sure linux has many things different from windows and runs differently, rather than mess up a machine with linux without drivers etc or buy a linux machine would be good to learn how to work it in the first place, install and configure like you would tune up your system of windows and its overload of programmes etc at a college/university, p.s. thanks for your quick response

drgrussell
Site Admin
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Post by drgrussell » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:48 am

I teach 80 people here on linuxzoo undergrad, plus another 30 postgraduate, but my concurrent largest group is 50. I have a capacity of about 80 right now, but ignoring the memory leak in the 64 bit servers they should be capable of about 10 gui machines each. I have 3 fast servers right now, plus 1 more in the configuration stage.

Timetabling is always difficult, and we are unable to manage timetable linking between the offcampus and the merchiston campus.

I am actually looking at extending the site to things like dynamips and qemu, and I have windows 2003 with gui right now (hidden away). I have a student looking at a Mac OS system using vmware. Many of these need gui.

I have a student looking at vnc gui over http proxy. This should be ready for linuxzoo this semester, so it will be interesting to see the performance issues which this raises. Again though it will probably be hidden from normal users while we evaluate it.

Ping_1701

Linux

Post by Ping_1701 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:59 am

sounds good, would be good if off campuses could try and test drive it in their own campuses and give you feedback could be part of a class and a good learning process

ping00

Post by ping00 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:04 pm

You don't need it explained - especially if you read the article linked - that such building methods are superior as well as being cheaper.

As if you don't know either, it being obvious you picked your username to copy mine as your first two posts are entirely out of the blue off-topic (and cringe inducing) and just happen to make a giant point of contradicting what I wrote about how bad so many of the conditions here are

(you must know it's a well known fact that jimmy watt is run by non-educationals, like a lot of further and higher education is these days; they're just about student numbers and how much funding they can get; business people not educators.

- I've been to a few different further and higher ed. courses, and without fail all actual educators agree that the establishments are run by money people, and the decisions taken are never about benefiting education.)

I drew your attention to the other reasons I put 'ping' in my name (penguins are the linux logo for example) - as your copying of it seemed to think the numbers at the end were arbitrary.

As far as I'm aware, Tesco here don't build to eco-standards. They would like to, I've seen their plans to have all their stores run on things like solar power. I only buy green products from them anyway; another reason any cafe upgrade is a waste also, as what the college's cafe actually lacked was some decent organic coffee and organic veggie sandwiches. No need to change the layout, it's a cafe so it ought to be about food.

What it looks like won't change the food and drink.

Ping_1701

College

Post by Ping_1701 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:18 pm

I did not copy if because of the children’s TV programme Pingu that resembles the penguin logo of Linux, I chose it because of the network qualities it represents like you would ping an IP or a user called ping!

Yes places may be run by money grabbers, just making sure that you are talking about the college and not the bar "Jimmy Watt"?????

Some people do not eat in certain cafes because they look bad yes that may be hard to believe. So to throw your point into cybernetic oblivion, yes it does and can matter for dome people the look of a place.

Out of sheer nosiness, since you dislike the James Watt College so much, have you not tried another place for your course if it really upsets you that much?????

ping00

Post by ping00 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:14 pm

It's obvious you copied my username to stir things up. A real educational place wouldn't dream of allowing any disruptions; it should go without saying. The reason it needs saying in some places is because: they aren't run by educational people.

I wouldn't just have gone someplace else if I could afford to, I wouldn't live in this area anyway.

The cafe didn't look bad. It looked the same as the rest of the place on the inside - nothing special but it wouldn't put you off your food.

You should pay attention to what actual educators say about education run by business types, instead of inventing things in your head and going on that only. Why do you think they come around classes and count how many are in? So that if less are in than is declared, they can justify moving the class to a smaller room. They see the world like it's a factory needing managed; quality doesn't come into it.

Ping_1701

Whatever

Post by Ping_1701 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:24 am

Look stop winging about the username av tried bein polite and didny work sa jist stop your winging! (sorry it had to be said) p.s. a didny copy you exactly!

End of the day the counts are to insure the proper allocation of resourses, if classes shrink and can fit into another then that means they can run another class on another subject and benefit other students! If there is a subject running and is split into 2 classes each starting off with say 20 and down the line one class maintains a steady 10 and the other goes down to between 6 - 8, is it not unfaire that those 6-8 would get more attention than the other class because their is less to go round????

The cafe as a said b4 did put ppl off because it looked so dull and run down yes like the rest of the place hence why it is getting a makeover (thanks for proving my point).

Do you have a problem with imagination (or lack there of in your case) about inventing things in head???? I didn't anyway! Now my points come from facts of knowledge and figures not the fantasy you believe everyone is living in.

Don't say am trying to stir things up, this almost sounds like a primary skewl arguement "Miss! He copied me!!" Grow up unless your under 16 then al let you off Sorry! If I really wanted to stir things up I would start a campaign to get the grass cut more often at the college by loud lawnmowers. Jist drop it and think how childish this argument sounds (any1 else feel free to drop your feeling on that here ta).

I have to say I like some of your points about installing linux and dual booting. Would be interesting to set it up as a class its one thing knowing how it works and is another to actually know how to set it up.
:lol:

P.S.(2) I couldnt be bothered spell checking this.

ping00

Post by ping00 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:40 pm

Yeah right. Like you'd be able to admit you even posted any of that to my face.

You're a fake and a total coward.

You shouldn't be in the class.
Whoever complained about my stating the construction noise is unacceptable - pm me here and admit who you are, coward. We'll see how much you want to complain about me then.