I wasn't complaining about the lab space,

General chat concerning linux or linuxzoo.

Moderator: drgrussell

ping00

I wasn't complaining about the lab space,

Post by ping00 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:36 pm

I was indicating that the only actual recourse I have, contrary to what you claim in response dr. russell (that there are options available), is to avoid going into classes at all.

Censoring that unacceptable situations details won't change how it is here at James Watt as regards noise: completely unacceptable.

I only noticed justnow that my post was deleted and made to look other than what I in fact wrote.

ping00

Post by ping00 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:56 pm

Also, I don't have a copy of the one email address someone posted at the now-gone thread that *might* be of use to me,

and I don't recall who posted it -

I don't have access to that kind of info elsewhere.

Can someone re-post it here please - something about the student charter?

It's not right I have to avoid classes solely because of building work that is entirely the college's fault is going on.

drgrussell
Site Admin
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Post by drgrussell » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:29 pm

The reason for your earlier thread being deleted is that this forum had a 7 day pruning policy. This seems to be the default and to be honest I hadnt noticed.

Auto pruning detects threads which had not been added to in 7 days and deletes them automatically.

I have now disabled autopruning on all the forums.

Note that I dont censor anyone, but I do moderate the forums. I make sure the topics are the right ones for each forum, plus I have to respond to complaints about postings from other users.

If I think a posting is unsuitable I delete it, but I may try just to edit out issues rather than blanket delete things. But I always mark postings as "edited by the moderator" and I usually substitute text with ********.

I most certainly didnt edit your posting to say something else.

Here is part of your posting that I have managed to recover.
There's not even a message board for the classes except for this one -

building work is going on during all lessons and times we get to use the one room we have.

(Greenock campus - noises like constant power tool use, drilling, metal-cutting saws etc. Completely unbearable. It's so wrong they should be allowed to get away with even thinking of letting that kind of noise go on in what's meant to be a place of learning.)
--- My Response ---
Surely your tutor can try and sort something out about this? Or at the very least find out how long it is going to go on for?
--- Student ---
It's the management side of things and the 'head of school' - they don't care at all. So it doesn't seem to matter the people that run the course and teach it say anything. The management / head of school side of things outright told me they wouldn't even consider getting another room, the first time I put a complaint in.

I'm in the linux class just now, and there's loads of buzzsaw and metal cutter noise going on.

There's not even any consideration of moving us to a quiet room - yet they are spending loads of money doing all the construction work. Also this one room we have for every class is either always too hot or very cold, and hasn't got proper curtains / blinds - and they haven't bothered addressing that either.....at least the last two years I've been here, plus it seems it's been that way for even longer, about 8 years.
But a few doors away down the hall also - they've kitted out two new rooms full of computers and desks, with the machines facing the right way, towards the teachers boards.
Last edited by drgrussell on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drgrussell
Site Admin
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Post by drgrussell » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:47 pm

As for your other comments:
  • If you are unhappy with your local college arrangements you can discuss issues with your module leader, course leader, head of department, head of faculty, your Staff Student Laison Rep, or via the Students Union. I am sure there are other approaches.
  • I dont censor people. However, this thread is way outside the topic of this forum, and as well as that I received a complaint about your last post in that thread. I did delete the problematic posts. However the rest of the thread has been deleted by autopruning. I will leave this thread on the forum for a while, but it is also off-topic and will be removed at some point too.
  • Noise at James Watt is nothing to do with me at all. Just as it is not right you are unhappy, it is not right you are pulling me into this issue by posting on my forum. After the first post I forwarded your comments to the Napier course contact here, which is the limit of what I can do for you.
  • The student charter helpline is charter.helpline@napier.ac.uk, and you can phone them on 0131 455 6363. According to google the charter is http://www.napier.ac.uk/napierlife/Docu ... harter.pdf
Please dont post off topic. I have locked this thread.