The root topic

General chat concerning linux or linuxzoo.

Moderator: drgrussell

medinita3586
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

The root topic

Post by medinita3586 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:51 pm

Hello, I have been learning Linux with your wonderful tutorials for a while now and I have been using other remote terminals as well to improve my education and I have come to find something very curious and very interesting at the same time.

The other day, out of curiosity, I began trying to become the "root" user in those remote terminals, and yes, I can actually become root in most of the remote terminals I have been trying. This brings about the following question: "Is it Linux absolutely secure, cyber-security speaking? And if it is, why could anyone, I mean any user like myself without the extensive knowledge that the Linux OS requires, can become "root" by just entering the command "sudo -i?

That doesn't mean I will stop learning of course, on the contrary, my learning will continue since the only thing I have to invest in my journey is time.

I would really appreciate any feedback you may have on this topic.

Thanks for your wonderful tutorials. We, Linux fans will be in your debt for ever.

Jose 8)

drgrussell
Site Admin

Re: The root topic

Post by drgrussell » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:00 pm

Usually you need a password or a special permission to become root.
However many of those systems in linuxzoo have weak security in this regard just to make learning easier...
So in short Linux is generally very secure.
Gordon

medinita3586

Re: The root topic

Post by medinita3586 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:36 pm

Thank you, I realized that now when I have tried to become root on some different remote terminals. I can assume then that my Linux Ubuntu Laptop is safe.

Little progress is better than no progress, really. I just wish I had more time to dedicate it to this but we all have to make a living, right

Jose Medina