Connection Issue: "Closed by foreign host"

Problem completing one of the interactive tutorials?

Moderator: drgrussell

mrshappy0
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Connection Issue: "Closed by foreign host"

Post by mrshappy0 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:26 pm

Pardon me as I'm new to using linux. I'm currently doing research that relies heavily on command-line interface and have began using the tutorials. I was able to register as a free guest user. Then using my terminal on my mac I was able to use "telnet linuxzoo.net to log-in" where I entered demo for the user/password. I proceeded to complete questions until the connection was closed. Now I try to log-in and it says "Closed by foreign host" (telnet) or "Connection reset by peer" (for ssh). I am using the laboratory mac on my university network.. could this be part of the issue or am I logging-in incorrectly? :shock:

drgrussell
Site Admin

Re: Connection Issue: "Closed by foreign host"

Post by drgrussell » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:42 pm

The machine only stays running while you have at least 1 browser window on the linuxzoo.net site.
If you navigate away for some reason, the machine shuts down a few minutes later.
Could that be the issue?

mrshappy0

Post by mrshappy0 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:18 pm

EDIT: I was able to login using user/password demo. No more issues. Thanks for the help!

At this point it doesn't even let me login. It immediately responds with "Closed by foreign host". I was able to login once but not again. Even with the browser open on the virtual machine it still won't work. It says the machine is on and running though but I can't login from my terminal using telnet. Is it possible my university network has a firewall blocking the connection?
Last edited by mrshappy0 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrshappy0

Post by mrshappy0 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:25 pm

Okay, it seems to be allow me to access the login through my terminal today. So that is good but now it won't accept : "login: demo, password: demo". It says my password is wrong.

drgrussell
Site Admin

Post by drgrussell » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:34 pm

Your VM does not last forever, and when you get a new one then all previous changes are lost.
It doesnt happen very often, but for instance this week I was doing some reimaging of servers to fedora 22.
When this happens you need to revisit one of the tutorials which has a create demo account at the top, e.g. intro1, and press the button again.
That should recreate the demo account for you.
Gordon.