Linux Networking

Problem completing one of the interactive tutorials?

Moderator: drgrussell

George
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Linux Networking

Post by George » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:59 am

Hi, thanks for the great tutorials. I seem to have hit a wall in the networking section of the linux tutorials.... I know about the lecture slides but couldn't seem to find what the questions are asking for when I get to the netmask question. Is it in the slides or is their another resource to use to learn the information???

Thanks

drgrussell
Site Admin

Re: Linux Networking

Post by drgrussell » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:40 pm

Not sure. It depends on the bit you are stuck on.
To be fair the site is really designed for my own students who are following a taught module, and the slides they use may not be the ones you have access to. However I dont do anything crazy, so it should all be regular things which can be found in most resources.
Let me know what you are stuck on and I can take it from there.
Gordon.

George

Re: Linux Networking

Post by George » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:51 pm

Thank you! The question I'm stuck on is "Device eth2 is connected to a network for which your virtual machine is the gateway. The network ip is 192.168.1.0 and the netmask is 255.255.255.0. Your IP should be the last valid host IP number allowed for that network.΅ I tried to read up on netmasks an my thinking was that 192.168.1.255 would be the broadcast address so the last valid host IP would be 192.168.1.254? Not sure where I'm going wrong :oops: