Tutorial 5 Question 13 keeps failing me

Problem completing one of the interactive tutorials?

Moderator: drgrussell

robertsonw

Tutorial 5 Question 13 keeps failing me

Post by robertsonw » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:43 pm

I'm sure there's a reason behind it that I'm not aware of, but I have skipped over this question for a while and came back to it. Now, I can't figure out what's wrong with my code:

Code: Select all

[demo@host-6-113 ~]$ find /home/demo -newer s1 | tee /var/tmp/t1
And I get a lot of entries (and I can't copy/paste from the VNC I'm using).

I've also used the following to exclude hidden files, thinking they might be the problem:

[demo@host-6-113 ~]$ find /home/demo -newer s1 | grep "/home/demo/[^"."]" | tee /var/tmp/t1
I've also gone in and manually deleted hidden files and files made in questions after this question. Then I tried grep-ing so I only get those that are "sX" files:

[demo@host-6-113 ~]$ find /home/demo -newer s1 | grep "/home/demo/s.$" | tee /var/tmp/t1
I have yet to find a way to pass this question. Can you help please?

drgrussell
Site Admin
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Re: Tutorial 5 Question 13 keeps failing me

Post by drgrussell » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:26 pm

Do you have files in home demo, and is one of them s1? Are you CDed to /home/demo?

find /home/demo -newer s1 | tee /var/tmp/t1
That seems find to me, but this is simpler...

find /home/demo -newer s1 >/var/tmp/t1

robertsonw

Re: Tutorial 5 Question 13 keeps failing me

Post by robertsonw » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:20 am

I do have s1 in the home directory, and am using the command from the home directory. I haven't moved any files from where the questions asked me to. I did, as I stated originally, skip this question. I ended up doing all of the vi tutorial before coming back to it and trying to get it again. I have tried both of those syntaxes for the command, and both failed. I don't know if continuing on before doing it messed it up somehow. Is that possible?