Linux essentials tutorial question #10

Problem completing one of the interactive tutorials?

Moderator: drgrussell

medinita3586

Linux essentials tutorial question #10

Post by medinita3586 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:34 am

Well, I have come this far but now I am challenging myself with this "word puzzle" and I have typed the following command, according to what I read in other comments: grep a.\*e\*i.\*o.\*u /usr/share/dict/words and the command works, well at least it doesn't give me any error messages, but don't look that there is anything in the file named "words". I entered the "cat /usr/share/dict/words" command to see inside the mentioned file and there is nothing in it either, so my question is: Are we expecting any output from this command on the screen or is it just some sort of a test that you are giving us? And ultimately, am I looking at the wrong file? Sorry but I am a little confused here.

Please help.

:shock:

drgrussell
Site Admin
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Re: Linux essentials tutorial question #10

Post by drgrussell » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:44 pm

If the file /usr/share/dict/words is empty you need to boot with a fresh image as you must have damaged the file somehow.

medinita3586

Re: Linux essentials tutorial question #10

Post by medinita3586 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:33 am

Thank you, that works even though the "words" file in my system is named "linux.words", but I entered my command using that name for the file and I got the desired output with the right amount of words affected by the command and when I clicked on the "check" button, I had a "passed" result. Very interesting stuff!!

Thanks again.

:P