Bug: aol users will struggle

Planned downtime and current issues.

Moderator: drgrussell

drgrussell
Site Admin
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Bug: aol users will struggle

Post by drgrussell » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:31 pm

AOL users go through a web proxy which makes you anonymous. This is great if you dont want web sites to track your surfing. However, LinuxZoo needs to track your IP number in order to make many features work. Thus AOL users will struggle to use LinuxZoo (they quickly get a message saying they have logged in somewhere else).

I will implement a change over the next few days which should allow AOL users at least minimum access to the system. This will likely be restricted to the javascript telnet client for login. But it is better than nothing. AOL must think they are so smart...

drgrussell
Site Admin
Are you a robot or a human?: Human

Post by drgrussell » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:17 am

Version 1.0 of this fix has been implemented. This should mean that AOL users can now log into the interface and more importantly stay logged in for more than a few seconds. However, you will likely be restricted to using the javascript telnet interface to connect to your virtual machines. SSH and normal telnet will likely silently fail.

I have also been informed that it may be possible for AOL users to bypass the AOL web cache by using explorer in parallel to the normal browser interface. Your experience may vary. If you do manage to bypass the cache then all systems will be accessible by you as normal.

Email me if you still have problems.
G.